The 2020 History of Urology of Urology Forum was a banner year for history with the largest collection of History podium and poster presentations (35) chosen from the greatest number of submissions (87). You can see the presentations by logging in to the AUA Virtual Experience website.
Congratulations to Dr. Michael Witthaus for winning BEST POSTER with his submission of FR02-08: Walt Whitman, John Mahay, and Urotrauma in the American Civil War
AUA Earl Nation Retrospectroscope Award
Each year, the authors of the papers on the program have the opportunity to compete for the annual AUA Earl Nation Retrospectroscope Award (previous winners not eligible) by submitting a publication-ready manuscript in addition to their presentation. We are thrilled that the number of candidates for this year’s prize has almost doubled from 7 to 12 (1/3 of the History Forum presentations). Review and voting by the members of the History Committee will take place later this month. Winning and Honorable Mention papers will be reported in the Fall issue of The Scope of Urology Newsletter, so stay tuned!
You can see submissions for the Retrospectroscope Award (with login) at the AUA Virtual Experience site.
- FR01-01 Civil War Manuals of Military Surgery – Samuel D. Gross vs. Julian J. Chisolm
- FR01-03 Unsung Urologic Hero of World War I – George Emerson Brewer
- FR01-06 Surviving an Atomic Bomb – TWICE, nijū hibakusha
- FR01-07 An American in Paris: the Introduction of proto-Urology in the USA
Phillip Van Kerrebroeck
- FR01-14 Randall's Plaques: A Mystery of the Kidney
- FR01-15 Made of Hard Stuff: Why Was Significant Bone Disease Seemingly Less Common in the Eunuchs of China and Turkey Than in Patients Today Undergoing Androgen Deprivation Therapy?
- FR02-02 War "Trophies" & Phallotomy
- FR02-05 The Evolution of Management of Male Urinary Incontinence
- FR02-06 Down the Chute: A Brief History of Intraurethral Treatments
- FR02-07 Poison gas and the Art of John Singer Sargent
- FR02-11 Jean Wilson and Prostate Research at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center (UTSW): 50 years and Counting
- FR02-13 Who is at the Podium?: Women Presenters at Recent AUA Annual Meetings
Ron Rabinowitz, MD, FACS