Who was William P. Didusch?
William P. Didusch was the scion of a family of artists in Baltimore and one of the early pupils of the renowned Max Brödel, Director of the Department of Art as Applied to Medicine at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine. (This was the first full-fledged department of medical art established by a medical institution.)
At Christmas 1915, Brödel gave Didusch the opportunity to become staff artist for the newly created Johns Hopkins Brady Urological Institute, under the direction of Dr. Hugh Hampton Young, now considered the "Father of American Urology." Didusch decided to try out the job; this trial period developed into a lifelong, close association with urology. In 1949, Dr. William W. Scott, who was then director of the Brady Institute, appointed Didusch an instructor in urology, and in 1953 Bill Didusch became the executive secretary of the AUA, a position in which he served until 1968.
Didusch, who lived and worked at the former AUA Headquarters at 1120 North Charles Street in Baltimore, MD, had compiled an impressive number of drawings and text and gave much