Vienna, Austria, and now the Josephinum medical museum. The instrument disappeared in 1945 as Allied forces occupied Vienna and resurfaced approximately 20 years later at the American College of Surgeons. No one knows for sure how it came into the hands of the College of Surgeons in Chicago. After working with the College for several years, we were finally able to see the instrument returned to its "birthplace" in Vienna, an event that was celebrated by the AUA, the College of Surgeons and the curator of the Josephinum at the AUA's Centennial Meeting in 2002.
Rainer M. E. Engel, MD, F.A.C.S.
William P. Didusch Center for Urologic History